Here we are on our wedding day with Best Man Scott Bocek and best pal Tami Emmett. I remember feeling nothing but happiness that day. (well except when I discoverd my lame flowers, wah) When I saw Alan in the temple I absolutely KNEW I had made the right choice!
Not everyone knows what a tender heart Alan has. He is sort of like a bear soft but growly on the outside, but inside he is the gentle, willing to help anyone, teddy bear sort of guy. This photo was taken when Marcus had some minor surgery.
This shot of Alan was in the Weber State Signpost. I love it. He says it was the only time he ran the ball. . .
Not many people can wear a perm and get away with it!
I try to believe that I was drawn to Al only because of his mind--ha ha but look at those muscles--I'm mean seriously!!!! He was a model at WSC and it made me sort of gasp when I saw him take off his shirt.
I knew I was in love with Alan when we went on a trip to Island Park to meet his family. I was with him for three days, and only wanted to spend more and more time with him.
I love this photo of Alan and Beau right after Beau's baby blessing. Another sweet doo.Yesterday Alan and I celebrated our 21st anniversary. Yep, St. Patty's Day has double meaning for us and we never forget our day. Alan came home about 11:00 so we could spend the day together. We went to lunch and to a bakery for these amazing sugar cookies that you really would give up a child in trade for a goodly dozen of these melt-in-your-mouth tasties. And later, to our joy, Kathy actually brought us a dozen to wish us a happy anniversary--and she wouldn't even take one of our children as payment. Darnit.
I really love this guy and here are some of examples of why. . .
1. After he gets out of the shower and because he gets up before me, he pushes a clean dry towel along the towel rod closest to the shower and hangs his wet one further away. Seems like a little thing, but once when I asked him about it he just shrugged and said, I knew yould want a dry one. He is very, very considerate of me in a million little ways.
2. He talked me into running a marathon and didn't give up on me even when I whined insesantly and could only run 1 1/2 miles to begin with. Then just before we crossed the finish line he reached for my hand and held it up for the photo. Not because he wanted a picture, but because he knew I did.
3. When I had my first and only pregnancy which ended in a ruptured ectopic one, Alan cried with me. I remember waking up in the middle of that first night and seeing him in a small chair facing my bed. He was asleep with his head and arms on my bed and he had ahold of one of my hands. He looked exhausted and very uncomfortable, but it made me feel better to have him so close.
4. He loves the temple and when we were just dating he would go by himself and then tell me how amazing it was to be there.
5. He has coached most of his kids sports teams, and makes sure that he throws a ball with them when they ask. And he is about the only person who can get Marcus to abandon one of his lengthy tantrums. He is a great dad and the perfect counterpart to my parenting style.
6. And I love him because he loves me and has never, ever made me feel like I am not beautiful to him. I know I can trust him completely and have never had to feel worried or jealous. He is my best friend and the person I turn to when I have anything that needs telling.
Last night when we were in bed he said, "I married up." And that's how he always makes me feel!

9 comments:
Oh that was a sweet post. AND I loved that he was in Miami Vice!! I never even knew! (The white pants model picture). Yes, your Alan is a good man. Even if he wouldn't put up with any of our teenage whining and would make us occasionally get up and run or clean the dishes (that is one thing you should have put about reasons you love him -- he cleans!! So so unlike most any husband). Anywho, I totally forgot you two had the special luck of the irish wedding day. Happy Anniversary! I was jealous to hear that you just spent the day together because all I could think was, "But who on earth did you talk into watching all of your kids??" Then I remembered it is me who can never go do something alone with husband. I hope hope you appreciated that!!
P.S. Speaking of him talking you into running a marathon ... want to run the top of utah one with me this fall??? I am making myself because I know it is the only way I'll be able to make myself run despite the juggling of little ones and what not.
best post ever. why did it make me cry? i guess my tear ducts are closer to the surface right now than usual. but i really do love alan and am so glad he is in our family. it makes me so happy when we can focus on all the wonderful things we have in our spouses and realize how amazingly blessed we are when so many people are in such sad relationships.
i loved the photos of al. that one with beau is priceless. i don't remember seeing it. and i remember the one of you guys from island park--i remember that darling top with the cacti and the matching khaki shorts. i think it was after that when i knew you would marry him
al has always treated me with kindness and i have seen that tender side myself. when i was leaving for my mission, he hugged me and started to cry and from thence forth i have known that he is really just a big teddy bear, whether some may think he is gruff or not.
congrats on 21 years dear sister!
That was the best post EVER! I love hearing how perfect you and Al are for each other. ANd yes Al is a very handsome man. I still haven't forgivin you for embarassing me at your work at WSU when you asked if I thought of Al and I said as I was drawing "he is soooo good looking" only to look up and see him standing right there.
Perfect Al as the Bear since Josh is my gentle lion. They are so so much the same person that I am reading this saying ya just like Josh. Happy Anniversary to my wonderful sister and brother!! Now get building your cabin already so we can be neighbors!
P.S. I love the part about Al holding your hand up at the marathon because he knew you would want that. So cool. I love you guys!
that was a very sweet post, as nancy says--sweet in like the "so cute" sense, and sweet in like the "so rad" sense. i love you guys. you're both totally awesome. i've loved al since the day i discovered that i've secretly been his favorite niece my whole life.=) the picture of him with baby beau is awesome. you can totally tell who that little guy is.
What a nice thing to do for your hubby...that modeling photo made me laugh so hard..not because he did not indeed have a good body but just the 80's everything about it! Love ya sis, glad you got such a good hubby! Kath
will my photo show up??
how about now?
Post a Comment